Get Well FAQ: Guide to Writing a Get Well Message
Writing a get well card message may appear hard but doesn’t have to be. In fact as long as you avoid writing or saying a few certain things you should be fine. This guide should help you to decide what sort of message you want to write, how to do so, what is and isn’t appropriate and what to include with your card. So, let’s begin!
What Does Get Well Soon Mean?
Saying 'get well soon' is meant to convey the message of hoping someone recovers from an illness or injury. It is used to wish people a quick return to full health and often written in greetings cards or with flowers. You can also use other phrases such as 'feel better', 'feel better soon' and 'wishing you a speedy recovery' which mean the same thing.
How to Write a Get Well Soon Message?
If you want to write your own get well message for a card then there are a few steps you can follow.
- Who is your message for - knowing the person you're writing your message to is obviously important. It will shape the sort of tone you take. Are they a family member? Close friend? Work colleague? The better you know them the more personal your message can be. For a colleague or acquaintance a simpler message will be more suitable.
- Being encouraging - a get well card should obviously wish the recipient a speedy recovery but should also try to be encouraging. You want them to feel better after reading your message so try to use encouraging words and bring them hope and positivity.
- Offering help - if you feel like the recipient could do with some help whilst they recover and you are in the position to offer then do so. Even a small gesture could be a real help to them.
Some example messages:
- Wishing you a quick recovery and return to good health
- Sending you our best wishes and hoping you feel better soon
- Hoping you find each day brings you closer to a full recovery
- Take as much time as you need getting well!
- You're in our thoughts and prayers as you get better
- We're all thinking of you and wishing for as speedy recover as possible
See more example get well wishes.
How do you Say Get Well Soon?
If you're intending to say get well soon to someone in person, maybe visiting them at home or in hospital, then what you will say is very similar to a get well card message.
These are some ways to say “Get Well Soon”
- Best wishes for a quick recovery
- Hoping you get back to your old self soon
- Always thinking of you
- You're in my thoughts and prayers
- Big hugs and hoping you feel better
- I'll be sending healthy vibes your way
- You'll be good as new really soon
- Looking forward to seeing you back at work soon
- Take it easy and one day at a time
What do you say in a Get Well Card after Surgery?
Sending a get well card after someone has had surgery doesn't have to be that much different to a regular one. Just a slight change of language and emphasis on the surgery aspect. A few examples:
- Pleased to hear the surgery went well and wishing you a swift recovery from it
- Rest and relax now the surgery is done. Just focus on getting better
- Can't wait to see you now you've had your surgery!
- Sending you lots of love and best wishes after your recent surgery
- You're so brave! Well done on getting through your surgery. Now here's hoping for a fast recovery
- We were all delighted to hear the surgery was a success
See more of our after surgery message examples
What you Shouldn't Say
There are a few things to avoid touching on in your message:
- Death - this is a no brainer. Think about it, would you want to recieve a get well card that mentions death in any way? No. So you wouldn't send one like this.
- Religion - you can be religious in your message if you're certain the recipient has a strong faith. You can also use phrases like "you are in my prayers". Otherwise avoid anything religious.
- Negativity - encouragement and positivity should be what make up your get well message. You want to make them feel better. So nothing negative!
- Phrases - there are some types of phrases you shouldn't use. The likes of "God has a plan", "things happen for a reason". These could be very offensive and should definitely be avoided.
What are the Best Flowers for Saying Get Well Soon?
There is no set rule for the types of flowers you should give to someone as a get well gift. However something cheerful and bright like daisies or pansies are a good choice. Vivid colours can help to brighten their day and lift their spirits. Less common options could include hydrangeas and peonies, which represent perseverance and healing respectively.
Yellow roses are also a very cheerful and friendly flower that can be suitable for saying get well soon.
For a greater choice see our get well flowers.
Get Well Resources